[Interest] Playing MP4 and FLV with QMediaPlayer

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 06:57:58 CEST 2013

> The trick is this, I can put this on several different machines - all are
> Windows 7 Pro:
> 1.) machine 1 - development box, can play some mp4s but not others (all
> h264)
> 2.) machine 2 - personal household box, will play the sampleFile mp4
> sometimes
> 3.) machine 3 - COMPLETELY clean windows 7 pro install, aside from the
> code above, has nothing installed on it, NEVER plays the mp4.
>
> All 3 machines can play the sampleFile.mp4 in Windows Media Player.
>
> As a final note, none of these will play FLV either.
>
> Pointers anyone? What am I missing here?

QtMultimedia relies on 'backends' to work on different OS'. For Windows I
think it uses 'DirectShow'. Is that installed and working properly on the
machines you're trying?

Here's more detail on the state of art:
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_Multimedia_Backends

Places where video is not playing, it's possible that there's no support
for the codec/container in the backend being used (DirectShow or some
other).

HTH,
-mandeep