[Interest] Qt for digital tabletop applications

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Wed Sep 18 12:38:36 CEST 2013

On 18 Sep 2013, at 11:41 AM, Andrea Franceschini wrote:

> What I don't know is: would a combo of graphics(view|scene) work for
> my needs? Basically I need to replicate what I've been doing so far
> with big-loop-based applications (Processing's draw() anyone? Cinder
> follows a similar concept, fyi) and I want to do it with Qt. As far as
> I can tell, I just need to set up a QGraphicsView, associate it with a
> GraphicsScene (inheriting from QGraphicsScene) in which I'd add all my
> visual pizzazz and gestures, and I'm golden?

Qt Quick is intended as the replacement for QGraphicsView, so QGV is not getting much development/bug-fixing attention, and the gesture framework has some issues.  So you're probably better off using QML unless you just want to reuse old code without writing much more.  Touch and gesture support in Qt Quick also has issues when you try to do more advanced kinds of interaction, but at this point those issues are more likely to get fixed.  It's quite easy to get started with QML in any case.