[Interest] GDB debugging not working in QtCreator 2.8.1/Qt 5.1.1/GDB 7.5/TI SDK 6.0

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Sep 20 22:13:45 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:52:32PM +0000, Rogers Nate wrote:
> I built Qt 5.1.1 using the tool chain included in the TI SDK 6.0, which
> includes GDB 7.5.  When trying to debug from within QtCreator 2.8.1 the Locals
> and Expressions window doesn’t display any of my c++ variables, it does however
> show my qml variables.  Even if I highlight a c++ variable and try to drag and
> drop it into the Locals and Expressions window it still doesn’t show up. To try
> and solve this issue I downloaded precompiled binaries of the GDB libraries
> from here: https://releases.linaro.org/12.10/components/toolchain/binaries
>
> And I tried the two latest ones from here: https://launchpad.net/
> linaro-toolchain-binaries
>
> Although replacing the local arm-linux-gnueabihf-gdb file and the gdbserver
> file on my SD card of my linux build did help the problem a little, it did not
> totally fix it.  Now I get c++ variables sometimes in the Locals and
> Expressions window but sometimes I do not or I get the wrong stuff.  I can also
> drag and drop c++ variables to the window sometimes and the values will show up
> and other times that doesn’t work either.  I find it works best if I remove all
> expression evaluators first before dragging and dropping a new local or member
> variable to the window.
>

> This brings me to my next problem which I believe is most likely related but I
> cannot be certain.  I regularly get segmentation faults when running with the
> debugger attached.  This didn’t happen really until I added in a stackview
> component or a loader component.  It is strange however that my application
> will run seemingly all day if I am running without the debugger even if there
> is a stackview component or a loader component.
>
> This is my first time posting anything to a mailing list so I am not sure what
> the proper etiquette is for sending code or debug logs.  Should I send them as
> attachments?  As zip files or unzipped?  Should I just put the content in the
> email?  It can be very lengthy.  I have been struggling with this for a week so
> any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Not too many people will read the debugger log, for most people it is
noise. I'd suggest to open an issue at bugreports.qt-project.org, and
attach the full debugger log there.

For the log you attached: This uses combined C++/QML debugging, and it does
not seem to load the Python scripts into GDB. Can you try with switching
off either (in the project's Run settings) and check whether it makes a
difference? [And append the new logs to your bug report? ;-)]

Andre'