[Interest] Qt 5.3 multimedia new plugin structure

Lopes Yoann Yoann.Lopes at digia.com
Tue Apr 15 13:51:11 CEST 2014

On Apr 15, 2014, at 11:01 AM, Cornelius Hald wrote:

> I've just noticed that we now have plugins/mediaservice and
> plugins/audio. Anyone knows the difference? At least on Windows both
> contain audio plugins.
>
> E.g.
> plugins/mediaservice/qtmedia_audioengine.dll

This one could be renamed, it's in fact a backend for QMediaRecorder based on QAudioInput (which can only save to WAV). It's available on all platforms.

> plugins/audio/qtaudio_windows.dll

This is the actual audio plugin for Windows (QAudioInput, QAudioOutput, QAudioDeviceInfo). It's not really new, it just used to be embedded in the QtMultimedia library itself.

> Also how are they related to dsengine.dll and wmfengine.dll?

Plugins in 'plugins/audio' are backends for low-latency audio APIs. That is QAudioOutput, QAudioInput and QAudioDeviceInfo.
The ones in 'plugins/mediaservice' are backends for QCamera, QMediaPlayer, QMediaRecorder, QAudioDecoder to name only the most importants.

--
Yoann Lopes