[Interest] Chances of usable qtmultimedia on imx6?

Auslands-KV auslands-kv at gmx.de
Wed Apr 16 08:05:16 CEST 2014

Hi

I am looking for a nice small device used mainly for a specialized
digital signage solution. As software framework I would like to use Qt5,
as I really love Qt5 :-)

I had a recent look at the imx6 solutions available, and there are many
devices out on the market at attractive price points. The power of the
CPU and the GPU should be totally sufficient for the use case. So I
tested Qt5 on it. The results are, however, pretty bad.

While GL effects and shaders work nicely in Qt5.2.1, qtmultimedia is
extremely inefficient. Here are some examples comparing gstreamer and Qt5:

1. Playback of HD video (mpeg4):
Gstreamer: < 10% CPU usage, perfect picture
Qt5: 100% CPU usage, some frames are dropped, somewhat usable

2. Playback of full HD (FHD) video (h264):
Gstreamer: < 20% CPU usage, perfect picture
Qt5: 100% CPU usage, 90% of frames are dropped, unusable

3. Playback of rtsp webcam stream (640x480, h264):
Gstreamer: < 5% CPU usage, nearly perfect pictures
Qt5: 5-10% CPU usage (!), but >90% of frames are dropped, unusable

Gstreamer shows that the imx6 is perfectly capable of playing these
streams. Also, XBMC runs perfectly on it. So. it definitely seems to be
a matter of Qt integration with the imx6 platform that is severely lacking.

I am just wondering if there is a chance that Qtmultimedia will be
better integrated into the imx6 platform in the (near) future, or if I
should better look for a different platform (e.g. bay trail?) ?

Thanks for any comments

Michael