[Interest] Interaction between Qt and XSETTINGS?

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Tue Apr 22 05:59:27 CEST 2014

Hello,

Can someone explain to me what determines the look & feel of a Qt
application?

For example, when running the Tortoisehg application under a (Linux)
XFCE4 desktop, it looks really nice.

If, on the other hand, I run the same application without xfsettingsd,
the fonts look ugly, and color-theme changes.

I first thought this was due to Qt using XSETTINGS, but even after
replacing xfsettingsd with a different xsettings daemon (xsettingsd)
providing the same settings, tortoisehg remains ugly.

I did find a qtconfig application that allowed me to choose the default
font, and a GUI style. However, I didn't not find any settings relating
to hinting, antialiasing, or monospace fonts. Moreover, none of the GUI
styles (including GTK+) reproduces the look and feel that I get under
other DE's.

If someone could give me a hint on how to get nicely looking Qt
applications without having to install a fulll Gnome or XFCE4 desktop,
that'd be much appreciated :-).

(In case it matters: tortoisehg uses Qt4.)

Best,
Nikolaus