[Interest] QAction shortcuts in modal dialogs

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Tue Apr 29 18:25:37 CEST 2014

On Apr 29, 2014, at 3:59 AM, Rutledge Shawn <Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com> wrote:

>> Our application runs on Macintosh and Windows desktop systems. On Macintosh it is usual to have the menu bar active even when a modal dialog is displayed, and it can be used to cut/copy/paste in editable fields in the dialog.
>>
>> Qt, on the other hand, uses the Windows convention of disabling the menu bar when a modal dialog is displayed.
>
> Not the whole menu bar, but most menu items.

Well, in my application the menu bar looks available (the menu bar items are not dimmed) but all the items in the menus are disabled. It kind of comes to the same thing :)

I recently found the technique of creating a new menu bar and giving it the modal dialog as parent. In Qt 4 that menu works during operation of the dialog. But in Qt 5 the menu items are disabled just like the main menu bar. I have filed a bug:

Thanks for your attention to my problem!

-John Weeks