[Interest] Gstreamer support

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 18:39:02 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/08/14 17:46, pritam.ghanghas at gmail.com wrote:
>> Got that working. Configure script looks for Gstreamer only if phonon is
>> enabled.
>
> Video through Phonon might not be the best experience. You might want to
> look into QtGStreamer instead. it's provides by GStreamer itself:
>
>    http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/modules/qt-gstreamer.html
>
> I had much more success with it than with Phonon and got very solid
> video playback. Phonon video, especially in Qt 4, is extremely glitchy.

Unlike Phonon, which is a multimedia framework with different backends
(one of which is GStreamer) QtGstreamer is a Qt binding for Gstreamer
and provides all the low level access you'd expect when using
GStreamer directly. I would say its a tad cumbersome to use, but you
get full control over everything and IMO better suited for embedded
systems.

-mandeep