[Interest] qt5 window setGeometry and move not work in wayland platform

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Mon Aug 11 11:20:21 CEST 2014

On 11 Aug 2014, at 9:10 AM, Pier Luigi wrote:
(top-posting fixed)
>> Dear all,
>>
>> My app has a mainwindow and a QDialog which is a child of mainwindow. And I
>> want to set the app to the position 0,0.
>>
>> I use both setGeometry and move to  0,0. No luck , both failed. The window’s
>> position is unfixed and may appear to anywhere on the screen.

I was wondering about that too.  I understand that it's generally good policy to leave positioning of generic windows up to the window manager, but sometimes you want to write a dock or taskbar which anchors itself to screen edges, and can animate in and out of view; or a splash screen which is centered on one screen.  What is the right way to do that on Wayland?

> Clients don't get to set window position with Wayland.
> You should write a Wayland protocol for that but you need a compositor
> that speaks that protocol.

Has it not yet been done in existing compositors such as the Qt one or in Weston?