[Interest] qt5 window setGeometry and move not work in wayland platform

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Mon Aug 11 14:56:31 CEST 2014

To be more clear, "interactive moving" being a separate protocol is
actually how it works under X11 too. To begin interactively moving the
window, clients send a _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE ClientMessage [0] to the window
manager which handles moving for it. We adapted the same protocol for
xdg_surface in Wayland.

[0]
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#idm140146176808576

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM, Giulio Camuffo <giuliocamuffo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >:

> mainwindow. And I

> window’s

> policy to leave positioning of generic windows up to the window manager,
> but sometimes you want to write a dock or taskbar which anchors itself to
> screen edges, and can animate in and out of view; or a splash screen which
> is centered on one screen.  What is the right way to do that on Wayland?
> >>
> >> The right way is to have a protocol designed for that. A taskbar
> >> should use some taskbar_protocol with a request like
> >> put_on_edge(edge), and the compositor will then move the surface on
> >> the edge and do slide in/out or whatever effect it wants to.
> >
> > I understand the advantage of taking a higher-level approach.  But then
> someone thinks of something for which the scenario-specific protocol
> doesn't suffice.  If windows could move themselves, it might be more
> flexible.  It may be too low-level, but it's hard to think of any other
> protocol that is universal enough, which I suppose is why it's not
> standardized.
>
> The problem is that windows don't always have a meaningful position.
> If a window is shown on two outputs at the same time, maybe one of
> which a remote one, what is the window position? And what is the
> position of a window rotated 45 degrees?
>

> > What about when a window provides its own "skinned" window decorations:
> there will probably be some area in which you can drag to move the window,
> as you normally can on the titlebar.  Is there another protocol for that?
>  How would that be different from a generic protocol which windows could
> use to position themselves?
>
> wl_shell_surface/xdg_surface have a "move" request. The clients call
> that and then the compositor actually does the moving.

  Jasper