[Interest] AndroidManifest always requires android.permission.CAMERA

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue Feb 11 19:34:04 CET 2014

Hi,

After publishing my application in the play store I am not seing my
application on Nexus 7 first gen. Looking at some forums I found that
since this model has no back camera and only a front one it is excluded
when the manifest requires one with "android.permission.CAMERA".

I tried to add the line '<uses-feature android:required="false"
android:name="android.hardware.camera"/>' in my AndroidManifest.xml but
this file is re-generated by the build system and anyway the line
'<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.camera" />' is added to
the AndroidManifest.

In Google's documentation they suggest [1] to use instead
'android.hardware.camera.any' which means 'The application uses at least
one camera facing in any direction. Use this in preference to
android.hardware.camera if a back-facing camera is not required.'

Not sure is this is someting I can fix at our application level. is this
is a know issue, should I file a bug?

Bruno.

[1]
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-feature-element.html#permissions