[Interest] QMetaType::metaObjectForType

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Mon Feb 17 11:05:45 CET 2014

On Monday, February 17, 2014 09:47:20 you wrote:
> Hi
> Thanks for your quick reply.
> This does indeed work, but I would be grateful if you could explain why
>

> > Q_DECLARE_METATYPE(Widget)
>
> Remove this line.

You don't pass around copies of QObject derived types because it is not
copyable. You pass around pointers instead. So, you don't want 'Widget' to be
a metatype, you want 'Widget*' to be a metatype so that you can put a Widget*
in a QVariant for example.

You can use

 Q_DECLARE_METATYPE(Widget*)

but it is not needed as of Qt 5.0. There's some background info here:

 http://steveire.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/implementing-qvariantqmetatype-features-with-template-tricks/

and the problems were solved and implemented in 5.0

 http://www.kdab.com/kdab-contributions-to-qt-5-0-part-1/

So, it's better to remove the Q_DECLARE_METATYPE that you don't need rather
than add one that is wrong.

> > Class.cpp
> > const int WidgetTypeID = qRegisterMetaType<Widget>("Widget");
>
> Register the pointer. Don't specify the string:
>
>  qRegisterMetaType<Widget*>();

By using a string there, you run the risk of typos. The string is not needed
and should not be used (even with Qt 4 code).

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer