[Interest] Compile Speed Question regarding MOC

Michael Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 23:04:54 CET 2014

I have what seems to be an obvious question/answer but the subtleties may not be what I think they are. We have a project with about 500 files most of which inherit from QObject or QWidget which means they all have moc run on them. Currently I have each moc created file compiled as a separate object which means for every class I have I am really compiling 2 files (.cpp and mocXXXX.cxx). The compile times are starting to get "up there" a bit and I was wondering what others do at this point? Do you simply do the #include "moc_MyClass.cxx" in the .cpp file of MyClass? Does that really help speed up the compile process? Before I go updating all of our source files I just wanted to get a quick sanity check for this course of action from the Qt community.

Thanks for any advice.
Mike Jackson