[Interest] Compile Speed Question regarding MOC

Tony Rietwyk tony at rightsoft.com.au
Wed Feb 19 01:48:20 CET 2014

Mike wrote:

> Sent: Wednesday, 19 February 2014 9:05 AM
>
> I have what seems to be an obvious question/answer but the subtleties may
> not be what I think they are. We have a project with about 500 files most
of
> which inherit from QObject or QWidget which means they all have moc run
> on them. Currently I have each moc created file compiled as a separate
> object which means for every class I have I am really compiling 2 files
(.cpp
> and mocXXXX.cxx). The compile times are starting to get "up there" a bit
and
> I was wondering what others do at this point? Do you simply do the
#include
> "moc_MyClass.cxx" in the .cpp file of MyClass? Does that really help speed
> up the compile process? Before I go updating all of our source files I
just
> wanted to get a quick sanity check for this course of action from the Qt
> community.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Mike Jackson

I had the same problem, and use qmake to generate VS, XCode and Make
projects.  I noticed the Qt sources include the moc in each .cpp.   I
changed my code to do the same and it works well.   The qmake utility
recognises this and does not create a separate compile step for them.   Of
course the real solution is to get a faster machine.

Regards,

Tony