[Interest] pyotherside is Awesome

Alejandro Exojo aexojo at modpow.es
Thu Feb 20 09:39:33 CET 2014

> I'm not affiliated with the project -- I'm just tickled at how well it
> integrates into QML.  I didn't realize it existed until KDAB put the Berlin
> talks online.

Not affiliated either, but FWIW, the guy doing it, Thomas Perl, works
for Jolla, and they have done quite good work with Qt. For example,
they are the first ones (at least the first ones I know) that have
delivered to users Wayland with the Qt Compositor module. They've also
provided a nice set of components for Qt Quick that are very pretty,
and enjoyable to use and develop with.

> As a silly thought-experiment, IMHO the QML/Javascript is a
> "better-Javascript" because it's strongly-typed and the new QML/JS engine is
> "more-integrated" leading to greater possible bytecode/speed/packaging
> features in the future.

Type-wise I suppose it might require less coercions (although isn't
all a QVariant inside?), but still has the problems of being compiled
on demand. Try a moderate refactor, and you have to make sure that you
trigger all event handlers to see if some code doesn't find a property
because it evaluates differently.

> However, I'm somewhat curious what the Qt community
> would think about making "Python" a first-class-citizen in the QML world.
> If we did, I'd probably vote for an API that looks like that provided
> through "pyotherside".  I have a general "fear/trepidation" with putting
> more-than-trivial logic into Javascript, but I'm less concerned about
> scaling logic through Python.

The problem with scripting is that usally not all languages are as
easy to embed. Javascript, Lua, and others are easily embedable, and
Python might be much slower at least at load time. I've seen this, for
example, with Vim plugins. Vim has support for many scripting
languages, and some authors measured a difference in loading time of
Python vs. Lua of 10ms to 270ns. Of course Lua is much smaller, but
you see the point. :)

--
Alejandro Exojo Piqueras

ModpoW, S.L.
Technova LaSalle | Sant Joan de la Salle 42 | 08022 Barcelona | www.modpow.es

Aquest missatge de correu electrònic i els seus documents adjunts
estan dirigits EXCLUSIVAMENT als destinataris especificats. La
informació continguda pot ser CONFIDENCIAL i/o estar LEGALMENT
PROTEGIDA i no necessariament reflexa l'opinió de ModpoW SL. Si vostè
rep aquest missatge per ERROR, si us plau comunicar-ho immediatament
al remitent i ELIMINI'L, ja que vosté NO ESTÀ AUTORITZAT al seu ús,
revelació, distribució, impressió o còpia de tota o alguna part de la
informació continguda. Gràcies.

Este mensaje de correo electrónico y sus documentos adjuntos están
dirigidos EXCLUSIVAMENTE a los destinatarios especificados. La
información contenida puede ser CONFIDENCIAL y/o estar LEGALMENTE
PROTEGIDA y no necesariamente refleja la opinión de ModpoW SL. Si
usted recibe este mensaje por ERROR, por favor comuníqueselo
inmediatamente al remitente y ELIMÍNELO ya que usted NO ESTÁ
AUTORIZADO al uso, revelación, distribución, impresión o copia de toda
o alguna parte de la información contenida. Gracias.

This message and any attached documents are intended SOLELY for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may
contain CONFIDENTIAL and/or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information and may not
necessarily represent the opinion of ModpoW SL.  If you havereceived
this email in error please notify the systems manager immediately and
DELETE it since you ARE NOT AUTHORISED to use, disclose, distribute,
print or copy all or part of the contained information. Thank you.