[Interest] pyotherside is Awesome

Attila Csipa qt at csipa.in.rs
Thu Feb 20 09:50:36 CET 2014

On 20/02/14 03:24, Jason H wrote:
> I took a look at the video. As I'm a HUGE python fan. But I have no
> idea what this is about. At best, it allows you to access python
> libraries when JavaScript falls short, in effect keeping the QML for
> presentation and doing more in Python... But we already have something
> to use when JS falls short: C++ and all its libraries. When I saw the
> code examples, I thought "Eew, you got your python in my QML!" The
> fact that you have to enclose all the python strings in quotes is horrid.
>
> I used to code PyQt apps, and loved it. It was fantastically easy.
> Then I used Jython and that was great.  I however will not be using
> this. It's just 'off'. I could be missing the point, and if I am,
> please tell me!

IIRC (from ~2011, SF MeeGo Summit when I believe the) idea was pitched
to thp, it started as something a bit different. We already had PyQt and
PySide, but they were on the heavyweight side. What I (would have liked
:) to see was "forget the bindings, I just want a QML UI in my Python
app". Since Python comes with (non-UI) batteries included, most Qt
modules with their bindings in there felt largely just cruft taking up
space and memory. I see that thp has taken the idea further :) I'm not
as enthusiastic about python within QML, despite toying with the idea
myself a while back, mostly because of the syntax discrepancies (welcome
to indentation/escape-hell). If I was mixing Python and QML, I'd,
instead of the JSON base, use YAML ( see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML ). That would IMHO feel *way* more
python-y. At that point, though, I'm not sure how much Qt/QML the whole
thing is :)

import my.python.stuff

Rectangle:
     anchors: [ a.left, a.right ]