[Interest] QProgressDialog

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Thu Jan 2 19:07:12 CET 2014

Constantin- Thank you for your quick reply.
> Also the case when both minimum and maximum are both set to zero is mentioned in QProgressBar's description and I'm not sure it's really necessary to duplicate that information for QProgressDialog which is built on top of QProgressBar

Oops. I missed that bit of information. I looked carefully at the documentation of the minimum and maximum properties, but didn't read the Detailed Description carefully enough. Seems like that behavior should be documented in the descriptions of the minimum and maximum properties...

I suppose it's a no-brainer that QProgressDialog is built on top of QProgressBar...

On the other hand, the Detailed Description of QProgressDialog has a whole paragraph devoted to the minimum and maximum settings without mentioning either QProgressBar or the use as an indeterminate progress indicator. And there is an extensive discussion of the dialog closing automatically when the value is set to the maximum value. These seem to indicate that the dialog is not designed to use the indeterminate feature of QProgressBar. Since QProgressDialog calls processEvents() for changing values, I could imagine that the dialog might have some implementation detail that made indeterminate behavior problematic- like the need to call processEvents() in your own code!

Call me paranoid, but I think being paranoid is a good quality in a programmer :)

> That behavior looks reasonable to me -- the dialog must tell the system to redraw it, but doing that with an unchanged dialog would be waste of time.

No, I disagree- it's not an unchanged dialog, it's animated to show that something is happening. If my application is hung such that the calls to processEvents() don't happen, then the animation stops and that is an indication to the user that no progress is being made. This may be quibbling, but I think it's an important quibble.

Anyway, thank you for pointing out that QProgressBar actually documents the indeterminate behavior.

-John Weeks