[Interest] Bearer management on Linux with NetworkManager and switching between different connection profiles

Jan Kundrát jkt at flaska.net
Fri Jan 3 17:12:56 CET 2014

On Friday, 3 January 2014 11:38:27 CEST, Aaron McCarthy wrote:
> The QNetworkConfigurationManager::onlineStateChanged() signal
> can be used for this.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. When wlan0 and eth0 are both connected
initially, the established sockets all use the eth0. As the cable gets
yanked out, new connections start using the wlan0, but the existing ones
are now stuck waiting for a timeout. However, no signal is emitted because
the system has always had at least one connection available, and was
therefore "online" all the time.

> From what I understand of your usecase you do not need to both
> with network sessions, the system is bringing up the best interface for
you.

The application also has to work on Harmattan which does use the network
sessions, otherwise the platform will not prompt the user for a connection
when it's needed.

Anyway, code which works on both desktop Linux and Harmattan is available
at [1]. I'm seeing spurious reconnects every now and then, but I don't have
more details yet.

Cheers,
Jan

[1]