[Interest] QML and video

Jeff Lancaster jlancaster at vivint.com
Thu Jan 16 21:07:18 CET 2014

Using the follow sample qml code:

import QtQuick 2.0
import QtMultimedia 5.0

Rectangle {
    width: 800
    height: 600
    color: "black"

    MediaPlayer {
        id: player
        source: "<my_ip_cam>"
        autoPlay: true
    }

    VideoOutput {
        id: videoOutput
        source: player
        anchors.fill: parent
    }

In Qt 4.7 qml used my EGL libraries to render the video properly and at-speed using my SGX module on my system.

However, Qt 5.2 does not appear to use the EGL libraries or my SGX module on my system. I am not sure exactly how it is being rendered, the video runs but it is very slow and jerky.

I noticed that 4.7 used qpaintervideosurface wherein 5.2 uses some qsgvideoitemsurface that is foreign to me.

In 4.7 I successfully connected the EGL libraries to the qpaintervideosurface and it worked nicely with QML.

Question:

How can I get QML to use EGL libraries to render video?

Best regards,

Jeff Lancaster • Sr Software Engineer •
jlancaster at vivint.com  • P: 801.229.6010 • C: 801.xxx.xxxx

simply smarter • vivint.com
2500 West Executive Pkwy. Lehi, UT 84043