[Interest] Qt 5 porting + OpenGL

QbProg tholag at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 21:14:17 CET 2014

Hello Qt Devs/Users,
I'm evaluating the porting of an OpenGL based application from Qt 4 to Qt
5. I'd like to introduce QtQuick 2 Controls usage, so I have some concerns
on Windows/ANGLE.

Suppose the application uses it's own non-Qt based rendering engine, which
scales from OpenGL 1 to OpenGL 3.x and uses a number of extensions.
Since Qt requires OpenGL 2.x but the application should run also on GL 1.x,
the obiouvs choice is compiling Qt with ANGLE support.
--

The question is: is it possible to embed somehow a native OpenGL window
inside a QtQuick 2 view compiled with ANGLE support? (the native GL context

Another drawback I see in this approach is that ANGLE excludes any QtOpenGL
+ OpenGL mixin, which I'm using to simplify some GL operations after the
native GL context is created.

--

Apart the doubts, If I can give my two cents, I'd propose some enhancement
that would make this scenario (native OpenGL rendering + QML) work better:

- Make it possible that ANGLE usage is choosen at runtime , instead of
compile time.
- Another good option would be enabling this ANGLE/Native selection on a
per-context basis.
This would allow using ANGLE only for QML and eventually not for native
QGLWidgets.

Anyone with experience on this?

Thank you
Qb