[Interest] Drag from a window without going in the desktop foreground when taking the focus

Etienne Sandré-Chardonnal etienne.sandre at m4x.org
Fri Jun 6 12:24:40 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I have observed that many apps are well designed for inter-app drag&drop
behavior : when an item is dragged between window app A and window app B
while A did not have the focus, A takes the focus upon the drag click
without coming in the foreground. This allows, for instance, dragging from
a maximized window to a smaller one which is on top.

In my Qt app, the window is raised on top at the drag enter click event,
along with the acquired focus. How can I prevent this?

This was filed as a kde bug in 2001 and is still assigned, with a
workaround being "using the middle mouse button", which is not very
satisfactory.

Thanks,

Etienne