[Interest] QPlugin and RTTI

Etienne Sandré-Chardonnal etienne.sandre at m4x.org
Wed Jun 18 15:20:03 CEST 2014

Hi,

I would like to implement a plugin system in my app and I'm totally
ignorant of dynamic library mechanisms. So I'm trying with a QPlugin. I'm
using Qt 4.8.5, gcc 4.8.0 mingw64.

The question is : can RTTI work between the plugin and the app?

I will define and include these headers in both the app and the plugin:

- A base class Base which will be pure virtual
- A few DerivedA, DerivedB classes which will be pure virtual, too.

Then the plugin will derive from one of the DerivedX classes, and provide a
method in the interface which will list its implemented derived class names
as strings, and provide a factory for them returning Base* objects.

Then, the app will dynamic_cast these pointers to DerivedA, DerivedB, etc...

Will the dynamic_cast work? Is there a special way to export/declare things
for that?

Thanks,

Etienne