[Interest] Using OpenGL with Qt

Yves Bailly yves.bailly at sescoi.fr
Mon Mar 17 13:42:04 CET 2014

Le 17/03/2014 12:59, Agocs Laszlo a écrit :
> No, that is expected. After all it has to look up the versionFunction internals from the hash table maintained by the context.
> With the design shown here, deriving GL_Model from QOpenGLFunctions* feels like an overkill indeed.
>
> The options I see are:
>
> 1. Do not derive, just get an QOpenGLFunctions* instance. This of course leads to the f->glBlah() type of code which some (myself not included) may find ugly.

As you say, "some" find it ugly ;-) myself included, but I'm not the only one.

> 2. Use a different design. Separating the GL initialization/rendering into a separate class (e.g. GL_ModelRenderer) with a single instance could avoid the issue altogether.

This would probably be the best approach. However this is not a new project, we're
dealing with a huge (and old) code base, such a refactoring is not (yet) an option.

So I'm back to my initial question: can Glew be used nicely with Qt? Seems so in my quick
test program (even using QOpenGLShaderProgram), but I'm wondering in larger contexts.

Thanks anyway for your inputs Laszlo :-)

--
      /- Yves Bailly - Software developer   -\
      \- Sescoi R&D  - http://www.sescoi.fr -/