[Interest] Using OpenGL with Qt

Yves Bailly yves.bailly at sescoi.fr
Mon Mar 17 16:49:59 CET 2014

Le 17/03/2014 16:03, Sean Harmer a écrit :
> On Monday 17 March 2014 13:42:04 Yves Bailly wrote:
>> Le 17/03/2014 12:59, Agocs Laszlo a écrit :
>> So I'm back to my initial question: can Glew be used nicely with Qt? Seems
>> so in my quick test program (even using QOpenGLShaderProgram), but I'm
>> wondering in larger contexts.
>>
>> Thanks anyway for your inputs Laszlo :-)
>
> I would also suggest refactoring to separate out the data you're rendering
> (the 10,000 instances) and how you render it (the function pointers).

As I said, that would be the way to go... but this kind of refactoring is not
yet an option for us, the needed work is just too huge for now.

> In fact if you're looking at rendering 10k instances of something you probably
> want to be looking at glDrawElementsInstanced() or maybe even
> glMultiDrawIndirect() type functions.

That was 100k ;-) and each is a different piece of mesh, so no instances. Its
100k instances of a *class*, not 100k instances of a *model* - each "class
instance" containing its own model.
Now to be honest, that 100k number is quite extreme, the usual common case is
around 5k-10k nowadays (but increasing with time).

We're perfectly aware of the need of a vast refactoring, but again this will
not happen before at least a year - other huge refactorings are to be made
before taking care of the rendering.

--
      /- Yves Bailly - Software developer   -\
      \- Sescoi R&D  - http://www.sescoi.fr -/