[Interest] Problems with OpenGL in Windows and Qt5

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 14:42:48 CET 2014

Am 21.03.2014 um 14:13 schrieb Carlos <aarkham2k3 at yahoo.com>:

> Hello Till
>
> Thanks for your answer. I did not define the OpenGL version nor the profile. I've trying to use OpenGL 4.4 with compatibility profile and it didn't make any difference: it works fine in Qt4 but is displaced in Qt5.

I did not look yet at your example and my previous answer did off course not explain the "displacement", but since you told us that you are getting an OpenGL 4.3 context everywhere but on Qt 5 on Windows I thought you where explicitly asking for one, and hence that would have been the place I would have started investigating.

Anyway, I think you also mentioned that your actual GL code is "OpenGL ES 2.0", and your code was running fine on mobile devices (Android, ...). So on a desktop that would mean that you should be asking for an "old" OpenGL 2.x context (which parses GLSL 1.20 like shader programs), or at least for a "compatibility" 3.x/4.x context.

Yes, that still does not explain anything about the "displacement" you're seeing, but just given as some general thing to look into.

As a sidenote: at least on Mac OS X there is NO OpenGL 3.x "compatibility" mode, so in order to run your OpenGL ES 2.0 code you *have* to use the older OpenGL 2.x context! But at least up to OS X 10.8 that is the default context you are getting anyway.

Cheers,
  Oliver