[Interest] QThread

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 17:24:22 CET 2014

Am 24.03.2014 um 16:53 schrieb Koehne Kai <Kai.Koehne at digia.com>:

> [...]

Good link!

I /knew/ that this discussion about “volatile” would pop up again; we had it several months (years?) ago. But it’s a good thing, since I forgot already what the outcome of that discussion was ;)
Here is another reference:

 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2484980/why-is-volatile-not-considered-useful-in-multithreaded-c-or-c-programming

The reason was already pointed out by Thiago (just like last time ;)): you never know when that “eventually” will happen – depending on the CPU architecture maybe never: as long as no “memory barriers” are involved the value of “m_youCanStopNow” might be stuck “forever” in some CPU (Core) cache.

That also renders the use of “volatile” superfluous, as the compiler won’t “optimise away” a read from a variable which is “surrounded” by memory barriers (if it does, it is a compiler bug).

Cheers, Oliver