[Interest] Creating a video feed or overlay

Lopes Yoann Yoann.Lopes at digia.com
Mon Mar 31 12:52:31 CEST 2014

On Mar 28, 2014, at 7:41 PM, Tom Isaacson wrote:

> I'm working on an app that reads data from a sensor then displays it on a graph using qwt. This part is working fine but what we want to do now is create a video feed of the graph that can be displayed in other apps. We'd also like to add the graph as an overlay to a video feed from a camera. Is either of these possible in Qt, and if so where do I start?

Qt is probably not the best solution to do this. You could get the raw video frames from the camera (using QCamera and QVideoProbe/QAbstractVideoSurface); if the frame is in RGB, you could easily convert it to a QImage and then use QPainter to draw the graph over it. From there you'll have to find another solution to set up a live feed from these frames, since Qt Multimedia doesn't provide any API to encode and stream video.

Using GStreamer directly (we use it as backend on Linux) would probably be a better choice.

However, for the app displaying the video feed, Qt is a perfect fit. QMediaPlayer or the QML MediaPlayer accept any URL.

--
Yoann Lopes