[Interest] How to trust certificates for QWebPage

Tom Isaacson Tom.Isaacson at navico.com
Mon May 26 12:30:45 CEST 2014

We're implementing an application on an embedded Linux device that includes a browser using QWebPage in Qt 4.8.2. We also have OpenSSL installed but when I try to use https it fails with the error "SSL handshake failed". I can avoid this by calling ignoreSslErrors() in QWebPage::sslErrorHandler() but this isn't a solution.

The way I think this should work is that when the device receives the certificate it should check it with the certificate authority. Is there some code I need to add to do this? Alternatively, because this is a custom embedded Linux device I'm wondering if I need to add some kind of certificate, since it doesn't have anything right now. I can see from the code at the bottom of this article that it's possible to add certificates but I don't know what kind of certificate or where to get it from:
http://www.qtforum.org/article/37666/qwebview-not-displaying-some-ssl-pages-on-windows-qt-4-8-mingw.html

Any suggestions would be a great help, thanks.

Tom Isaacson