[Interest] Qt 5.4 Android with Android 5.0 ART vs JNI/Dalvik

Stromme Christian Christian.Stromme at theqtcompany.com
Thu Nov 6 03:56:54 CET 2014

On Nov 6, 2014 2:48 AM, "md at rpzdesign.com" <md at rpzdesign.com> wrote:

> Has anybody gotten a sense of whether Qt 5.4 will handle Android 5.0
> Lollipop along with the JNI/C/C++ interface layer.

The JNI interface has not changed and should work as before.

> Dalvik is being replace by ART (A new java run time)

ART is not new in Lollipop, it was released in 4.4 and Qt have been talking with ART since the first day :) with the exception of some minor issues (fixed) early in 5.3 days I don't know of any issues with Qt and ART.

> It seems like a major hassle is coming down the pike for those using
> JNI/C/C++ development

I hope not... the biggest hassle I can think of is how they are going to deal with 32 bit binaries on 64 bit system if at all.

> Has anybody got experience with the Android 5.0 preview on Qt 5.4 beta?

AFAIK it runs on fine on our nexus 5 with the 5.0 preview.

> Cheers ya'all.
>
> Marco

Christian