[Interest] [Qt4.8] UI events coming through despite QEventLoop::ExcludeUserInputEvents

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Nov 9 01:41:39 CET 2014

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 10:28 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday November 08 2014 10:08:54 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> >On MacOSX there's other code that integrates into MacOSX equivalent of a
> >systray. As I said this is likely done through libkdeui, i.e. kdelibs has
>
> Yes, it does. I've been "hacking around" in that code (and Qt's) to make
> it obey the "icons-in-menus" setting. Never saw anything that made me think
> the code was NOT run completely in the "owning" application's memory space,
> but then I never asked or looked at that question either.

Well, it could be that on MacOSX its completely inside the application
process and hence you wouldn't see this untill you look at the
implementation for a platform that does use a separate process for showing
systray/notifications.

> >Maybe KMail uses only QSystray for its systray stuff and the abstraction
> is
> >done by Qt's QPA architecture and in a KDE session this loads the KDE
> >platform plugin which uses libkdeui which uses libdbusmenu-qt to talk to
> >Plasma's systray. Same way that plain Qt apps usually use KDE's file
> dialog
> >when opening a file in a KDE session.
>
> Sounds reasonable - there's no such platform plugin on OS X so it stands
> to reason I'm not used to taking it into consideration :)

There is a platform plugin for Qt on MacOSX for sure (at least in 5,
probably also in 4.8), because thats the way that Qt abstracts the platform
differences. There's of course no kde platform plugin on MacOSX since KDE
is not 'the platform' there. The platform plugin may also only come into
play if one uses plain Qt api, as long as KMail goes through kdelibs/kdeui
API for its systray/notification needs its that layer that decides how
things work on different platforms. Again I don't know the API's or
implementations for this in-depth, only used QSysTray a little recently,
the rest is based on what we could see in the backtrace, what I know about
the general architecture of Qt and Plasma and the info I found about
libdbusmenu-qt on a quick apt-cache show and google.

> Is there an archive of this ML? I've been meaning to post a link to our
> thread on my RR so that someone who actually knows how all this works in
> KMail can jump in, but the usual mailing list info/links are missing from
> the footer and headers ...

want http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/. I'm too tired right
now to hunt down the link for the thread.

Andreas