[Interest] Qt5 and "global" configuration

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 23:10:49 CET 2014

On Wednesday November 12 2014 12:46:02 Thiago Macieira wrote:

> 1) application self-containing: we don't want to open files we shouldn't,
> especially on more locked-down platforms like OS X

?? Why would Qt (apps) not be able to open Qt configuration files? Thank goodness OS X hasn't yet become like iOS where indeed it would be complicated to have shared, global configuration settings.

I'm a bit surprised to see disk access among the arguments, in a time where the first reaction to complaints about that are met with "get an SSD" ... We're talking about configuration parameters that are read exactly once when the application is starting up; that storage access must be completely drowned in the rest of the activity going on at that time.

> Maybe you should not use an OS that you don't like?

That's off the point and not accurate. I cannot yet speak for 10.10, but earlier versions are fine with me (which is not to say they couldn't be better).
It's Qt's Mac-native theme that gives a look that's somehow off to applications. You own Qt Creator definitely does not have the look and feel of a Mac application IMHO. Partly because applications typically do not use Lucida Grande 13 or 14 as their default font.

> Anyway, the majority opinion is that Qt should look like the OS's own look-
> and-feel.

We're talking about giving choice, not about taking it away, but I'd like to see stats on that :) And also on what percentage thinks that user choice is even more important. And how many would actually prefer it if their application suite would look and feel the same regardless of what platform it runs on and use Qt in an attempt to achieve that.

Setting a default style is almost feasible on OS X by making the bundle executable a shell script that calls the binary with a style choice. Same cannot be said about the default font, though.

Anyway, don't you think it could at least be possible to set such configuration choices per application so they become persistent across restarts?

R.