[Interest] Qt5 and "global" configuration

Stanislav Baiduzhyi sbaiduzh at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 13:20:32 CET 2014

On Friday 14 November 2014 15:10:05 Constantin Makshin wrote:
> On 11/14/2014 02:41 PM, Stanislav Baiduzhyi wrote:
> > - when you're using some brand new laptop your physical screen dimension
> > may not be present in X db yet, which means that X just takes your screen
> > resolution, assumes 96dpi and calculates physical dimensions based on
> > that, which usually gives you result very far from expected.
>
> Every reasonably modern computer screen provides its physical size in
> EDID and X server will use that information unless you explicitly tell
> it to use other source.

And yet with every new laptop I'm getting I have to write it down manually to
xorg.conf to make X return proper values :) and not only laptops, but my brand
new Philips 3D monitor had to be forced as well.

I agree with your points that stuff like that should not be needed in 21st
century, but real world is way close to antiutopia than we would like, so
forcing proper DPI resolution is one of major world problems at the moment.

--
     Regards,
        Stas