[Interest] reference counting

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 19:02:19 CET 2014

On Sunday November 16 2014 18:47:34 Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:

> Most of the value classes are implicitly shared:
>
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/implicit-sharing.html

Yes, I saw that doc (also in Qt4). What kind of sharing does this refer to - across threads and/or only across owners in a same thread?
ObjC's reference counting basically determines the lifetime of an object (and prevents the need for a "deleteLater" operator).
But the main thing I'm curious about: is this implicit sharing mechanism thread safe and if so, do you (thus) use some kind of interlocked increment/decrement of the reference counter?

Cheers,
René