[Interest] QWindow::setTransientParent()

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Fri Nov 21 23:12:59 CET 2014

Shawn-

> QGLWidget is obsolete, because it has the disadvantage of requiring its own platform window for the GL content to render into, which has caused various problems over the years.  QOpenGLWidget (new in Qt 5.4) simplifies some things: Qt uses FBO tricks to composite the OpenGL content and the other widgets into a single window.  So you should probably try to switch from QGLWidget to QOpenGLWidget.

We have now done this, and it has solved a nagging problem we were having. Thank you!

There are a couple of things missing from QOpenGLWidget compared to QGLWidget: renderText() and renderPixmap().

We were using renderPixmap() to export graphics at resolution higher than what is displayed on-screen. And renderText() was being used for plotting data with text as the data point markers.

Are there alternatives to these for QOpenGLWidget?

-John Weeks