[Interest] QML app startup time on iOS vs Android

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Tue Nov 25 20:43:02 CET 2014

Testing 5.4.0-rc1, observations.

It would seem to me that on Android my QML app starts up more than twice
as fast as on iOS.

A low end Android device with dual core armv7 1.3GHz and 512Mb of RAM
wipes the floor with iPad 3, which has dual core armv9 1.0 GHz and 1 Gb
of RAM.
The respective startup times are around 5 secs for Android and 12 secs
for iPad.

I think CPU muscle wise those two devices should be quite close.

I wonder what can this difference be attributed to?    Is it just
superiority of linux heritage, filesystem access and dynamic linker
speed on Android?   Or did someone forget to turn off the slow bit on Qt
iOS?  Interesting stuff anyway.

Btw. it seems that iOS apps have acquired some default splash screen,
just displaying white background and the app name.

Wondering,

Harri