[Interest] Is QML the right tool for my job ?

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 11:46:51 CET 2014

Hello,

I’m working on the next version of a content authoring system for artists :
http://i-score.org/ , and we want to work on a recursive data model,
represented in a time line.

Basically, there are Processes that get executed during an Interval which
occurs between two Events.
A Scenario (subclass of Process) contains Intervals and Events.
Hence you can have scenarios inside scenarios (it’s the implementation of
recursivity).

For the current version (on the video) we were using the QGraphicsScene &
al. but we had some shitty corner cases. But from what I saw from the docs,
QML seems more targeted to a mobile app audience, while we are a heavy,
bloated, Cubase-like, desktop app.

I also read somewhere that undo-redo and that kind of stuff did not always
play well with QML, but we have already a full MVP + Command pattern
implemented
So I ask of QML to :

   - be able to recursively encapsulate elements
   - be able to move them in a scene,
   - send signals when they are left- or right- clicked
   - have them draggable and droppable
   - be able to manage elements not known at compile-time (there is a
   plugin system where you can add your own Process)

Do you think that it is better suited to the job, or should we stay on
QGraphicsScene ? (we're going to completely rewrite anyway).

Thank you very much !

-------
Jean-Michaël Celerier
http://www.jcelerier.name