[Interest] [OS X] qmake - "Could not resolve SDK path for 'macosx10.8'"

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 18:29:55 CEST 2014

Am 04.10.2014 um 14:24 schrieb Sean Harmer <sean.harmer at kdab.com>:

> Hopefully the SDKs will fix it for future releases. :)

I'm not even sure there's something wrong on Qt's side. Or how a perfect solution should look like. In fact, there's probably no (perfect) solution at all.

If you want to distribute a binary release you have to build in on /some/ OS/toolchain release first. Well, obvious.

One strategy would be to always build on the latest OS. So for Qt 5.4 that most likely would mean to build on OS X 10.10 Yosemite, against the 10.10 SDK.

I for instance just upgraded my "productive system" to 10.9 a couple of weeks ago, and plan to stay there for the upcoming feature (until I get new functionality of interest to me - you hear me Apple? We want OpenGL 4.5 ;))

So a Qt binary release build against the 10.10 SDK would not be useful for me. And I guess for a lot of other developers who want to make /sure/ that their applications run on older systems.

So another strategy would be to build Qt either on some "mid-age" (OS X 10.8 Mavericks seems to be the current build system) or even the "earliest possible system (10.7 Lion).

I haven't really paid attention, but I seem to remember that Xcode 5.x still supported the last 3 SDKs (10.9, 10.8, 10.7). So at that time using the Qt binary build was not an issue so far.

I understand that Apple recommends to always build against the latest SDK, and set the "deployment target" to some lower system accordingly. It seems that Apple is now enforcing this recommendation by only providing the 10.9 SDK with Xcode 6.x. (Maybe if one is member of the Apple Developer Program one has access to earlier SDKs).

Again, not a big issue, as we have seen above. But that probably means that we will have to always manually adjust some "SDK variable" every then and when.

Or compile Qt from source.

> Have a great weekend!

You too!

Cheers,