[Interest] Qt::MakePointer for creating QPointer as std::make_shared for creating std::shared_ptr

Reinhardt Behm rbehm at hushmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:02:25 CEST 2014

On Friday 17 October 2014 09:00:08 Bo Thorsen wrote:
> Den 17-10-2014 08:42, Reinhardt Behm skrev:
> > On Thursday 16 October 2014 01:56:46 Mikhail Matrosov wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> In modern C++ there is almost no need to use raw *new* and *delete*. As
> >> Bjarne Stroustrup is saying in his “A Tour of C++”: “Avoid ‘‘naked’’ new
> >> and delete operations; §4.2.2.”. We use standard containers and smart
> >> pointers for that, with std::make_shared and std::make_unique functions
> >> for
> >> smart pointers creation.
> >>
> >> In Qt we also have QSharedPointer and QSharedPointer<T>::create(…)
> >> method.
> >> But we don’t use smart pointers in Qt much, due to parent-driven memory
> >> model. And most of QObjects are created with raw *new* operations. Maybe
> >> it
> >> is a proper thing to add some C++14-style wrapper for creating QObjects
> >>
> >> like this:
> >>     1. namespace Qt <http://qt-project.org/doc/Qt.html>
> >>     2. {
> >>     3.   template<class T, class... Args>
> >>     4.   QPointer <http://qt-project.org/doc/QPointer.html><T>
> >>     MakePointer(
> >>     Args&&... args)
> >>     5.   {
> >>     6.     T* pObject = new T(std::forward<Args>(args)...);
> >>     7.     Q_ASSERT(pObject->parent() != nullptr);
> >>     8.     return pObject;
> >>     9.   }
> >>     10. }
> >>
> >> Now, one can safely call Qt::MakePointer to create a QObject and be sure
> >> it
> >> will not leak due to an assertion for an existing parent. And it will
> >> free
> >> all the calling code from raw *new*operations. One can always use raw
> >> *delete* to destroy the object, but he does not have to. And even if he
> >> will, it will not lead to dangling pointers problem since QPointer is
> >> automatically set to null in this case.
> >>
> >> I’m planning to use this approach in my code. Do you think it is
> >> relevant?
> >> Are there any drawbacks?
> >>
> >> PS This is a cross-post of my question from Qt forums:
> >> http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/48541, where SGaist
> >> <http://qt-project.org/mebmer/39728> suggested me to post here.
> >
> > This looks to me like a complicated solution to a non existing problem.
> >
> > Your method will fail for objects that should not have a parent, e.g top
> > level windows or objects that are created to be moved to anther thread to
> > name just a few.
> > In all other cases where you do not want an object to be an orphan (no
> > parent) just don't give a default for the usual parent parameter in the
> > constructor and check it inside the constructor for parent being
> > non-null. This way an ASSERT will give a meaningful message.
> >
> > In most cases when I need an QObject without parent I create it on the
> > stack (no explicit new/delete) because it is just a local variable and
> > the compiler take care of creation and destruction.
> [...]

I agree with you. Only because some people don't know how to do something
correctly is no reason for doing it in a more complicated way than necessary.
Educate the people and if after that they still don't know how to do it, don't
let them do it.
In my area of avionics software, such unnecessary constructs would never pass
certification.
--
Best Regards

Reinhardt Behm