[Interest] Qt5 and (lack of!) font rendering quality (Linux/X11)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 22:11:24 CEST 2014

On Tuesday October 21 2014 05:45:51 Vadim Peretokin wrote:

> It's not a bug, it's a feature! That is what I was told. Apparently Qt4 was
> getting the font boldness wrong and they fixed it in Qt5. Not sure if user

Yes, it does. Under OS X. Not under Linux, where Qt4 gives me perfect light, regular, semi-bold and bold. With Infinality Ultimate installed, of course ;)

> experience was ever factored into the decision.

Eh? There's a contradictio in terminis there. Font rendering quality is all user experience, so either you fix it (and quality issues disappear) or you break it completely (and quality disappears) ...

> Search Google for "Qt5 font rendering", you will find that lots of other
> people have already ran into this.

With Digia trying to convince them that they're wrong and just have to live with fugly fonts as X11's first attempts at using TrueType fonts (i..e way worse that handcrafted bitmap fonts)?