[Interest] Daydreaming about browser-hosted Qt apps

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 25 04:03:23 CEST 2014

I was just daydreaming about writing a web-based interface to a secure cloud
storage (ala DropBox) using Qt.  I imagined clients who would need to use
Desktop-based browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc.) for the ability to securely
access their documents for review or modification (in, say, PDF format).

I went a-Googling for the potential.  I came up with was emscripten
(https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki).  While that looks interesting, I
don't think it is practical enough for professional use.  I also discovered a
trick of launching an external Qt app, that uses the native window pointer,
via a browser plug-in.

I'm just curious to know if there been any other (more elegant) work in this
area?  Everything Qt today seems to be targeted at stand-alone "apps" for
mobile (iOS, Android, WinRT, etc.), which I suppose would work on a Desktop,
but has the browser-hosted Qt widget interface been panned as unsupportable?