[Interest] QtMultimedia::registerMediaFile

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Fri Apr 3 20:16:55 CEST 2015

I take a photo and save it on the device, I need it to appear in the Gallery/on the MTP interface. I am creating the photos fine, if I reboot the device they show up in the gallery when I plug in my phone, and they show up in the MTP interface under Internal Storage/Pictures. They are visible in the adb shell as well.

I am trying to get Android to register or scan the file so that it appears in those areas in real-time. Realizing that stuff uses a private interfaces, I tried doing this (code below), but to no avail. I think registerFile does the same thing ultimately.

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/media/MediaScannerConnection.html#scanFile(java.lang.String, java.lang.String)

// file = "/storage/emulated/0/Pictures/Wounds/8ec45672-76d6-4260-bb10-5e9801e43167.jpg" or
// file = "/storage/emulated/legacy/Pictures/Wounds/8ec45672-76d6-4260-bb10-5e9801e43167.jpg"
void MediaRegister::registerFile(const QString& file)
{
#ifdef ANDROID
	QAndroidJniObject string = QAndroidJniObject::fromString(file);
	QAndroidJniObject::callStaticMethod<void>("android/media/MediaScannerConnection",
"scanFile","(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String)V", string.object<jstring>(), 0);

	qDebug() << Q_FUNC_INFO << file;
#endif
}

Any input on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. I don't see any thing other than my debug line in logcat, so there is no feedback from the function.
It would be cool (is there already a way to ) have Qt provide the registration function?  That's what I thought the QtMultimedia::registerMediaFile function was for.

Thanks