[Interest] QOpenGLWidget and text

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 7 23:06:04 CEST 2015

On 2015-04-06 16:19, Till Oliver Knoll wrote:
> Am 06.04.2015 um 17:15 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
>> Please don't be overly pedantic. The point isn't whether the ability is
>> particularly a member of QOpenGLWidget, but whether it is available *at
>> all* (in a non-deprecated class, anyway) without the user having to
>> concoct a complicated system for providing it.
>
> Sorry, my bad then. I thought the whole discussion was /exactly/ about bringing back renderText() to the new class QOpenGLWidget.
>
> You: "I am finding myself less than
> convinced that the new class is an improvement... implicit context
> sharing is nice, but the loss of convenience methods is really, really
> painful."
>
> So I concluded that you must have been talking about QOpenGLWidget (alone).

Fair enough. That being the case, let me clarify; I don't mind features
moving around. What I'm not entirely happy about is that a feature that
was important to me *disappeared entirely*.

I'd like to be able to render text in GL space without jumping through
hoops, in an application that is QOpenGLWidget. Besides that calling
methods from QGLWidget isn't likely to work well, I don't care how that
happens :-).

> As for the question where to place it: anywhere but *Widget!

Again, I expect that in the long term, Qt3D will be the answer.
Unfortunately that doesn't help until (at least) Qt 5.5 is in distros.

--
Matthew