[Interest] Survey: do you override QCoreApplication::notify? Why?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Apr 16 01:45:57 CEST 2015

Hello

We're running into problems with QCoreApplication::notify() and auxiliary
threads in Qt. Details can be found in [1] and [2].

As part of trying to design the solution, I'd like to know what people
override QCoreApplication::notify() for.

So, if you do override, do you:
 1) use it to log exceptions that were caught?
 2) use it to catch exceptions and continue execution?
     or use it to catch and abort?
 3) log/profile/debug events being delivered?
 4) filter events being delivered (remove from queue / compress)?
 5) insert events somehow
 6) something else (please explain)

If you're doing #3, have you tried GammaRay? Is that notify() enabled for
production builds?

And additional question: do you need this for the main thread only, for
auxiliary threads only or for all threads?

[1] http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2015-April/021053.html
[2] https://codereview.qt-project.org/110325