[Interest] Question to members of the Qt team: why does an empty project consumes so much memory on iOS?

Nuno Santos nunosantos at imaginando.pt
Tue Apr 21 10:38:19 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have been comparing the memory usage by an empty iOS and an empty Qt project on iOS running on an iPad Air. It seems that this is not comparable. Please take a look to the following image. The iOS native project uses 16Mb of memory, while the Qt project needs almost 90Mb. It happens that if the memory limit with an empty project is almost next to the limit, how can a normal app run smoothly? I have made this test, after realising that my app was using 160Mb on the iPad Air simulator. This is huge!

I have been a lot of people complain about crashes on my app precisely on iPad Air. The app doesn’t even start in some cases. There is a great probability of being a memory problem. I believe that this might be due to the graphics architecture… but, shouldn’t it spare a bit more? We are on a mobile platform where memory is a valuable resource.

Please advise!!!

Regards,

Nuno

Nuno Santos