[Interest] QtSql database insertion issues...

Bo Thorsen bo at vikingsoft.eu
Fri Apr 24 12:43:02 CEST 2015

Karl, don't worry. the SQL module is not going anywhere. Jason is right
in the sense that it's considered done. He's wrong in thinking this has
anything to do with NoSQL.

NoSQL isn't emerging as a the SQL killer that NoSQL guys believe it is.
Instead it's a different tool that has other use patterns.

On 04/23/2015 04:45 PM, Karl Ruetz wrote:
> I sincerely hope you are wrong; at least for the next several years.
>   (Like 10 years.)
> Staying on the bleeding edge is simply not an option for many of us that
> are simply Qt users (not developers).  It took us years to update to Qt
> 5 because they killed QFTP without a fully functional replacement.  QNAM
> does not have all the functionality for FTP that QFTP did and building
> QFTP with the newest versions of Qt is problematic at best.  Killing the
> SQL module would probably mean the end of Qt for our organization.
>
> I realize that cutting edge stuff is more fun.  But we live in a world
> where our customers keep old equipment around for decades and they are
> willing to pay to keep it running.  So we still have to support Windows
> NT 4 and RHEL 4 even though it’s not as fun as working with the latest
> and greatest.  So please, I beg of you, do not remove any functionality
> without a complete, viable, fully functional replacement.
>
> Karl
>
>> On Apr 23, 2015, at 9:35 AM, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com
>> <mailto:jhihn at gmx.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Very true. If you need something like that to be agnostic, then you
>> need to use a query builder or ORM.
>> But it's not like Qt is very agnostic. Pragmatically speaking, the
>> lack of constistent binding across of drivers kills it right out of
>> the gate.
>> In days like this, where NoSQL is an emerging trend I can't see
>> anything really happening at the SQL module anymore.

Bo Thorsen,
Director, Viking Software.

--
Viking Software