[Interest] QtCreator or Other Tools for Memory Interpretation

Jason Kretzer Jason at gocodigo.com
Thu Apr 30 01:16:01 CEST 2015

Good Day All,

I am trying to get better at debugging in QtCreator.  I have a number of questions and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction(Qt5.3.2/Windows/VS2010).

In a version of my application, I start it up in debug mode in QtCreator.  And most of the time, I get messages like this where the it just shows the “Debugging starts” message and then when I stop the debugger the “LEAK: …” messages appear followed by the finished message.  NOTE:  When I run this application in Release mode, none of these messages ever appear.

Debugging starts
LEAK: 22 CachedResource
LEAK: 1 Frame
LEAK: 17 RenderObject
LEAK: 42 WebCoreNode
LEAK: 1 Page
Debugging has finished

My first questions are:
1.) What do these messages mean?
2.) Since they start with the word “LEAK”, I assume they are undesirable.  How can I go about finding the offending code?
——————————————————————

Second set of questions:

Sometimes, when I start the same application in QtCreator, a message like these appear and the editor opens up a “disassembler” window.
Debugging starts
Starting Displays
HEAP[myapp-qt.exe]: HEAP: Free Heap block 31325b8 modified at 31325ec after it was freed

Debugging starts
HEAP[myapp-qt.exe]: Invalid address specified to RtlValidateHeap( 003B0000, 03766ED0 )

Obviously, I know you should not modify memory that was already freed.  However, I can not make heads or tails of the information that is presented.  So, my question is:
1.) How do I interpret these messages to find the code that is performing the memory violation?

——————————————————————

Third set of questions:

I have released the code for the application mentioned above.  99% of the time it runs fine.  However, on occasion, I get a dialog box saying the “myapp-qt.exe” has crashed (or stopped working or some such).  I look at the event viewer but it just says it is somewhere either in msvcr110.dll or in QtCore or another dll and the code is 0x00000005(usually).  It is built on Win7/Qt5.3.2/VS2010/32bit and is deployed on Windows7 machines with MSVC++ 2010 Redist.   So, my question is this:
1.) Is there a way to determine where the offending code is in this kind of deployment?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding

   Jason R. Kretzer
   Lead Application Developer
   Jason at gocodigo.com<mailto:Jason at gocodigo.com>

“quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur"