[Interest] Qt .dlls size reduction

Rafael Machado rafaelrodrigues.machado at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:31:55 CEST 2015

Hi everyone

This is my first question on this mail list, so sorry for possible trivial
questions.

I have task to reduce the size of an installer of an application from my
company.
What I checked is that the qt dlls that we use are kind of big, so my idea
was to try to reduce these dlls sizes.

To do it I have compiled qt removing several modules that we don't use.
Something like:

configure -release -confirm-license -opensource -nomake examples -nomake
tests -no-evdev -no-mtdev -no-inotify -no-system-proxies -no-fontconfig
-no-harfbuzz -no-plugin-manifests -no-ssl -no-openssl -no-dbus
-no-audio-backend -no-wmf-backend -no-qml-debug -no-directwrite
-no-direct2d -no-native-gestures -no-style-windows -no-style-windowsxp
-no-style-windowsvista -no-style-fusion -skip qt3d -skip qtactiveqt -skip
qtandroidextras -skip qtdoc -skip qtdocgallery -skip qtfeedback -skip
qtlocation -skip qtmacextras -skip qtmultimedia -skip qtrepotools -skip
qtscript -skip qtsensors -skip qtserialport -skip qtsvg -skip qttools -skip
qttranslations -skip qtwayland -skip qtwebengine -skip qtwebkit -skip
qtwebkit-examples -skip qtwinextras -skip qtx11extras

After doing this, the qtcore.dll was reduced from 4.928.000 bytes
to 4.617.728 bytes.

I have checked at the documentation, and there are some options to remove
some features from the packages. For example, in case, we don't need the
feature UDPSOCKET for example, so adding to the configuration command the
option -no-feature-UDPSOCKET should remove unneeded things. (Features found
at C:\cygwin\home\.............\qtbase\src\corelib\global\qfeatures.txt)

The problem is that the option to remove features seems to be available
just for linux-embedded and not for the windows version of qt.
Is my understanding correct ?

The last question. Is if is there any other option to try to reduce the
.dll sizes ?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks and Regards
Rafael R. Machado