[Interest] Qt .dlls size reduction

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 7 18:17:51 CEST 2015

On 8/7/2015 8:49 AM, Philippe wrote:
> I sent you this link because I used this system successfully many years ago
> (I have no relation ship to this company). Now I remember another system
> (and free) that worked fine with me (and actually better in 64 bit at that
> time): http://www.matcode.com/mpress.htm
> I see today that a Mac version is also available.

Well, I just tried this with my Windows application release build.  I was
cringing a bit when I saw some of the reduction ratios it achieved as it was
processing files, but I was fairly impressed with the results.  It even
dropped a SWIG-generated Python binding dll that was >4MB to about 600KB, and
it still worked!  It achieved some notable reductions in the Qt5 dll sizes as
well (it complained that it may have damaged the Qt5Designer* dlls, but I
don't use them in my application anyway).

I might considering integrating this into my build/release pipe.  Thanks for
pointing this out, Philippe.  :)