[Interest] Qt positioning

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Tue Aug 11 16:47:42 CEST 2015

> Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:24 AM
From: "Federico Buti" <bacarozzo at gmail.com>
To: "interest at qt-project.org" <interest at qt-project.org>
Subject: [Interest] Qt positioning

Hi list,

I was playing around with positioning on Android and I'm not sure if I'm using it properly. I would like to update the position of the cellphone/app ASA the user taps on a button. To achieve this result I've setup my project as follows:

​The idea was to activate the GPS ​only when required, update the value (probably with a busy dialog on screen) and deactivate it. I could have used the update() method, I know.
Now, if I execute the code on a device with GPS turned off, I've the error "PositionSource.ClosedError". Instead, on the same device with GPS turned on the position is never updated. The same occurs in a newly created project with just this code added.
Qt version is 5.5
What am I missing? What am I doing wrong? The default dialog for GPS activation (i.e. the one shown by Googlemaps for instance) is not shown when position acquisition is started?
Thanks everyone for your time,
F.
--------

I've not had any success in iOS or Android. I've got a mobile app that is supposed to grab a position and it never does. Here's my setup
main.qml:
	PositionSource {
		id: positionSource
	}
	Component.onCompleted: {
		positionSource.update();
	}
later (~90s)... on an event handler:
				if (positionSource.valid)
					root.location = {lat: positionSource.position.coordinate.latitude, lon: positionSource.position.coordinate.longitude};
				else
					root.location = {lat: null, lon: null};

It never goes valid. One thing to note, is in my work environment, my GPS is usually on, and has a fix, so it should already be valid.