[Interest] [QML] Need advice on frontend architecture

Ronan Jouchet ronan.jouchet at cadensimaging.com
Tue Dec 1 23:14:27 CET 2015

On 11/18/2015 12:35 PM, Ben Lau wrote:
> I think there is no popular recommended frontend architecture for
> QML application yet. And I would like to make one.
>
> Since I also code in React/Flux, and it should be a good choice for QML
> application too. Therefore, I have started a project called QuickFlux to
> allow people to write their application in a Flux way:
>
> https://github.com/benlau/quickflux
>
> It provides AppDispatcher plus utility components for QML and C++.

Thanks Ben! (and sorry for the late answer), I'm giving it a try.

At first glance it fulfills its promise, but I'm not sure I'd use it:
it's indeed close to the Flux API, but would be a heavy change to
introduce that feels like a lot of fight-against-the-framework trouble.

(I'm not criticizing your solution -which does look awesome!- and I have
no doubt you know how to work its quirks when they happen. I'm just
pointing out I'm a Qt newcomer still learning the ropes, and am wary of
introducing opinionated dependencies I don't control.)

I was more hoping for some documentation or blog post helping me
re-structure our QML in a way that, with 20% of effort:
   A. Delivers an 80% of the simplicity/maintainability of Flux (or
      any MVC/MVVM approach helping client state isolation)...
   B. ... in a way that stays QML-ish and only relies on vanilla QML
      building blocks.

Examples/talk of such a QML architecture still very welcome :)

On 11/18/2015 12:35 PM, Ben Lau wrote:
> I think it should be fine to code regular GUI application in Qt's
> javascript engine. In my case, I did made a program to solve a graph
> problem. Finally I have switched back to C++ code.

Out of curiosity, what made you switch back?

Finally, for anyone interested in these topics, check out this excellent
presentation from Thomas McGuire at Qt World Summit 2015, it has some
great tips (and some controversial ones, one of them being "Avoid JS in
QML, just do C++").
[Effective QML] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzs5VPTf4QQ

Thanks.